Monthly Archives: April 2013
|April 30, 2013||Posted by Holly Marie under D Monthly Updates|
The Husband and I are in no rush to potty train our 17 month old- BUT- we have introduced a toilet- started talking about going “potty” and he is starting to get it. Yesterday he sat down went potty and we couldn’t be more proud! We did a family potty dance! YEP- we danced, jigged, and sang “Potty Dance” to his little heart’s delight.
|April 25, 2013||Posted by Holly Marie under Belly Questionaire|
- How far along are you? 24 Weeks Along- SIX MONTHS BABY
- How I’m feeling: Like I can’t catch my breath. I have been ordered to take it easy and I am trying to slow down as much as possible- but with the Toddler sometimes( all the time) that’s not really an option.
- Total weight gain: About 10 lbs so far.
- How big is baby? The Little One is the size of a melon. She is over a foot long too!
- Maternity clothes: SAME-Yes. Yes. Yes. Sure I can fit easily into any of my pre-pregnancy pants-shorts-tops-but I don’t want to be uncomfortable in the least as I chase(herd) the Toddler. So yoga pants, Old Navy Rockstar Skinny Jeans, Cotton tops and the belly band!-more on that in a sec.
- Stretch marks? SAME-Heredity messed up on this one. Even in college if any muscle got bigger I would get stretchmarks. No questions asked. BAM there they would be. With D- for some reason the Belly God’s thought they would mercifully let the belly be stretch-mark free. I am not holding my breath for two-for-two. But one can hope.
- Sleep: I wake up around 3AM to go to the bathroom and chug water like it is my job. ALWAYS thirsty. ALWAYS.
- Best moment this week: Being able to see her from the outside. Especially when she has hiccups- poor thing.
- Movement: Yes- especially at night- and whenever I hold the Toddler- sibling rivalry at its finest folks. She kicks and punches at him with all her might. It would be precious if it wasn’t so painful.
- Food cravings: Eh- food is just food. I don’t have cravings…. except for TWIX and OLIVE GARDEN = GET IN MY BELLY!
- Food aversions: Meh. Nothing sounds good except for the above mentioned.
- Labor signs: None.
- Belly button in or out: In- but looking like it might pop out- it just disappeared with D- so that would be interesting.
- What I miss: SAME-Not having a round face- le sigh- ah well comes with the territory for me.
- What I’m looking forward to: Our last ultrasound- probably around 28 weeks?
- Milestone: Seeing movement from the outside : )
|April 23, 2013||Posted by Holly Marie under Life and Times in our House||
Last Monday- early in the morning I sat there just pitifully feeling sorry for myself. My hair dryer broke- great get to spend money on that- Sprained my ankle badly carrying the 37lb monstrosity of the Toddler in our backyard- Our ceiling in our living room started leaking(AGAIN)- that is the third time in the two years we have lived here- PITY PARTY PITY PARTY.
Then a serious wake up call happened.
The Boston Marathon was bombed by terrorists.
When the Toddler woke up from his nap I spent the rest of the day just counting my blessings.
Yes- my heart is having a hard time-but we have an amazing Doctor who is trying to figure everything out.
The hair dryer broke- seriously? Why did this make me so upset? It is just a hair dryer. Just money.
The ceiling is leaking water. Well- thankfully we have a handy repairman down the street that knows our economic situation- it will be fixed. It is just money. We still have a house- our home.
My ankle is sprained. Nothing that R.I.C.E can’t fix. Frankly, it is just my ankle.
I am ashamed that I was so upset at those little things. That I didn’t acknowledge sooner that we are so blessed- that we will be fine- that we have each other.
My heart aches for those that do not have their loved ones anymore. From Boston to West Texas. My heart aches for you.
|April 22, 2013||Posted by Holly Marie under Life and Times in our House||
On Earth Day- when I taught environmental science we would have gone through all of the different environmental effects that humans are responsible for- how we can lesson our global impact as a nation-as a people- each of my students completed a full-report of their family’s energy and water consumption and then we would tramp around our entire campus looking at ways to make it more “green” and eco-friendly. One year we campaigned and got the lunchroom to stop using Styrofoam cups and plates- another we removed a hazardous species (zoo took them) that was encroaching upon the habitat of an endangered species of frog in our water and pond area of campus- one year the entire six grade took it upon themselves to start a community garden on campus- and then we even added sheep and chickens to the lot.
Now that I am a SAHM- I work hard to make sure that we have as little impact- or ecological footprint as possible. When the Toddler and our little girl get older I will make sure they understand the need to take care of our planet-even if we can just do small things-they can make a big impact. Captain Planet- he’s our hero-going to take pollution down to zero…. if you don’t know who that is-boy am I old.
Our Household Green List:
- Cloth Diapers
- Highly-concentrated cleaning supplies-less plastic product
- Recycle-how do you not?
- Hand-me-down clothes
- Goodwill and Garage Sales for items-wood furniture-clothes-lamps
- Planted two trees-made for the desert in our yard
- Toyota Prius- over 500 miles a tank- 52+ a gallon
- When an appliance breaks- many have- like our dryer-water heater-microwave-dishwasher-all in the last year- we replace it with an energy star approved appliance
- Buy antiques- yes we currently have four antique pieces of furniture in our house- hoping to add more in the future
- Instead of throwing items away we donate everything to the Goodwill-everything
- Eco-friendly bug repellents in our yard- cinnamon works wonders in the sand box
- Always wash clothes in a full-load
- Our thermostat is set up in the 80s- that’s hot for most people-but it gets to be 115 with lows in the upper 80s and 90s in the “summer”- End of May-September here
- Made the majority of our own baby food- with reusable pouches and jars
- Buy in bulk and place the items in our jar collection in the pantry- less plastic and packaging the better
- Buy local produce when possible-we live in the desert- but we do our best
- Our front yard is a “rock” garden- less water consumption
Hopefully I can continue to add to our Household Green List- and lessen our impact on our environment. I hope you all are enjoying your Monday on this beautiful Earth Day!
The Toddler and I are off to our first swim lesson for the month- he has been in classes since he was 2 months old- love my water baby!
How does your family lessen your environmental footprint?
What do you do to teach your little ones about Earth Day?
|April 18, 2013||Posted by Holly Marie under Life and Times in our House||
For all of the little jobs I do at night- blogging-political forecasting-even secret shopping- I am working toward purchasing the following “wish list”. Thankful that the little side-jobs are able to afford us to get things we need and sometimes even things we want.
Summer Wish List
- Soft, thin cotton robe- I currently I have plush fleece one that I sweat bullets in at night with- it is in the 80s/90s here with lows in the 60s at night- soon to be 110s/115s.
- Double Stroller- we are looking at buying a 2011 (new) City Mini Double Stroller- we have the single version and it is a delight! Plus the stroller fits in the back of the Prius and my Altima. Getting the 2011 version saves us hundreds of dollars.
- Plain White Crib- D is really not ready to switch to a big-boy bed yet. At all. So we are working on finding an affordable crib that we can put our sweet baby girl in- we already got another mattress from a friend.
- Aden-Anais four pack of blankets- we have four that have been worn to shreds-not kidding- there are major holes in them.
- Bum Genius All-in-Ones Organic Elemental diapers- any addition to our 12 diaper stash will help with two kids in diapers… working on finding good deals online to supplement-as we are starting the Potty training process with D.
- The Husband needs some new work shoes- like, yesterday.
- D needs new shoes- again- ohmygosh are his feet growing fast- size 9 Toddler??? WHAT?
- Compression tights- yep the swelling has begun-and I know how bad it is going to get. I need some STAT.
Hopefully in the next month I will be on my way, slowly checking off the list above. <3
Is there anything else I need for Baby #2 that I am blindly missing? HELP! My mom brain is fried. Need help stat!